Aesthetica Magazine, one of the world’s leading art and culture publications, has reached a significant 20 year milestone. Aesthetica is a trusted voice at the centre of global conversations on art, design and photography. The pillars of the company were – and remain – equality, creativity and diversity. This issue is dedicated to the power of the arts in making positive changes to society, and the legacies of independent print. Celebrate the 20th anniversary with a preview of this very special edition:
Emotive Colour Play | Prince Gyasi incorporates bright palettes into intimate portraits of figures from Accra, Ghana, the artist’s hometown, which document the spectrum of human emotion.
Vibrant Abstractions | Sebastiaan Knot’s geometric compositions are calculated manipulations of light. Shapes in vibrant blue, orange, pink and purple are crafted through analogue techniques.
Altering Perceptions | Experiences of forced migration are examined through utopian dreams. Interdisciplinary artists Cooper & Gorfer expose the inner and outer realities for women.
Window to Other Places | Dreamscapes is a world of elegant imagination. James Tralie’s digital renders reconstruct natural environments and architecture into serene scenes tinged with a sense of foreboding.
Visionary Narratives | Isaac Julien dismantles restrictive boundaries of genre and medium. Now, a landmark exhibition at Tate Britain surveys four decades of his experimental filmmaking practice.
Dynamic Self-Portraits | Cover photographer Fares Micue’s imaginative and perfectly composed conceptual images are uplifting symbols that reflect the power of ideas and what it means to be brave.
Defining Photography | Discover how the landscape of photography has transformed since the publication’s first issue with some of our favourite artists, including Brooke DiDonato and Adriana Mora.
Moments of Fantasy | Maria Lax’s spellbinding images utilise innovative camera techniques to transform figures, buildings and plants into saturated and cinematic otherworldly creations.
Reframed Perspective | Nadine Ijewere’s fashion photography redefines narratives of beauty, encouraging more diverse representation in front of and behind the camera.
The Story of Aesthetica | Celebrate the publication’s 20th anniversary as one of the founders discusses publishing an independent magazine for two decades and becoming a trusted voice in contemporary art.
1. Prince Gyasi, Patience & Purpose (2019). Courtesy of the artist and Maât Gallery.
2. Sebastiaan Knot, N49440 (2021). From Colliding Colours.
3. Sebastiaan Knot, N49532 (2021). From Colliding Colours.
4. Cooper & Gorfer, The Golden Maryan (2020)
5. James Tralie, Archway Flood (2021). From Dreamscapes.
6. James Tralie, Lagoon Home (2021). From Dreamscapes.
7. Isaac Julien, Tecnologia pré-histórica / Prehistoric Technology (Lina Bo Bardi – A Marvellous Entanglement) (2019). Endura Ultra photograph facemounted. 180 x 240 x 7.5 cm. 70 7/8 x 94 1/2 x 3 in. Edition of 6 plus 1 artist’s proof. © Isaac Julien. Courtesy the artist and Victoria Miro.
8. Fares Micue, Trust and the wings will grow (2022)
9. Fares Micue, Burning Energy (2019)
10. Kevin Cooley, Madison River, Montana, 2009. Chromogenic print singular edition of 7+1ap, 30×38.5 & 48.5×60”. Courtesy of the artist and Kopeikin Gallery, Los Angeles.
11. Image courtesy Maria Lax. Model: Nevena White (@nevenawhite)
12. Maria Lax, Tobak. Model: Agi Njie
13. Nadine Ijewere, 2019, From Spring Dress WSJ Magazine (March 2019). Courtesy of the artist. Models: Ayobami Okekunle, Yoonmi Sun, Elibeidy Dani, Huan Zhou Styling: Coquito Cassibba Makeup: Grace Ahn Hair: Junya Nakashima Manicure: Honey.
14. Laura Perrucci & De Santis Matteo, Untitled, November 9 (2018), Sabaudia, Italy.
15. The Wait. All the image rights belong to Six N. Five.